I never got to document our move on the Blog, so here is my quick attempt at the fiasco that was our move. Well, fiasco is a strong word, the move wasn’t really that bad, but very hectic.
I had called a week early to reserve a U-Haul for our move. I had originally reserved the U-Haul for Saturday morning for 8 hours for a round trip (since it would be a little cheaper taking it back to the original pickup location. The next the day after Brooke and I discussed it, we decided to go with a 24 hour rental, where we picked it up Friday night. I called U-Haul back and altered the reservation. They assured me it would be available Friday evening. I called 2 more times on our week of the move to assure all was ok still.
I took that Friday off to hang blinds at the house before we officially moved in, and do a few other projects. Called U-Haul to again make sure that I could get the truck, and to find out where the pickup location would be, they told me it would be in Laurens (15 minutes away from our old house) and that they would close at 5:30. I left the new house in plenty of time to get to the U-Haul place and pickup the truck. I arrived at 5:10 to get truck, but the place was locked and there was no U-haul truck in sight. By that time, my cellphone had died so I had no way to call the place, or check with U-Haul dispatch. I drove home and got on the phone with the main office and they said that the U-Haul would actually be there in the morning, at 10:30. Unacceptable, since I had a friend lined up to help us load at 8:00, and another friend lined up to help us unload around 11 or 12. After a lot of back and forth, they gave us the number of an office in Newberry (30 minutes away) that closes at 6:00. Well, it was 5:40 at the moment, so Brooke called them and with her womanly charm, had them keep their doors open long enough for us to get there and rent the truck. I picked up the truck and got back to the house to do some pre-loading.
Saturday morning Justin go to our house at 8 and we loaded the rest of the truck, which got very time consuming as we started to run out of space. A lot of clever fitting of items later and we just couldn’t get it all loaded. We decided to head up and unload, then come back and grab the final stuff. We had a good 1/4 truck load on the second trip. Was crazy.
Here was our living room and dining room after unpacking.
Here was Lee enjoying her little “nook.” Notice her table tent that Mima made her to the left. She loved it.
Mima also got Lee a princess outfit to play with while we were all busy unloading and working. She loved it, especially the earrings.
We are now getting a lot more settled. All the boxes are moved into the attic, and the floor is pretty much done. Now we just have a lot of nail hole filling/touch up painting to do which feels like it will take forever, but we are slowly progressing. The only one not progressing is Olivia and her cupcake eating. No more cupcakes for this little girl. She only like to squish them, not eat them.
1 comment:
You have to be exhausted!!!
Post a Comment