Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rooms to Come


Ok, here is the new living room story.
After spending all that time at Rooms To Go Saturday, with a new salesperson (we were his first sale I think) we arrived home pooped. Brooke started getting nervous looking over the itemized invoice. We had ordered taupe couches and the invoice said Peat. No real problem since online they didn't have a peat sofa listed, only taupe, so possibly online and in store had different names. When looking a the coffee table portion, it said "sofa table." Distinct difference between the two. So, upon putting in the skew number from the invoice into the online site, nothing came up. I figured possibly online had different skews as well, but got a little nervous when i found the coffee table and end tables we really wanted with an entirely different skew. Seemed all sofa tables started with a different first 4 digits than all coffee tables did.
I decided to call Sunday when they opened and have our guy look over the invoice and assure that what we ordered is what we are getting. After looking over it he said not to worry, all was correct. I argued a little but not much I could do, he was looking at the item in the store and all I had was online with different skews. I felt a little nervous but decided to trust him.
Monday rolled around and Brooke decided we should add a second end table to the order, we had left it off because we didn't think we had room, but found space for it. I called RTG Monday and spoke with our salesman and he was excited to add the table and lamp, and would call if we needed to do anything extra. 10 minutes later he called Brooke and said that we would have to come into the store (1 hour away) to re-sign the paperwork. Brooke asked if he could fax it to me and I could sign and fax back, that flustered him a bit and he said he would have to check with management. I called him back to check about 10 minutes after he talked to Brooke and he was apologetic and said he was wrong all along, the coffee table order was incorrect as I had previously suspected, and that we now owed $35 more on the order than expected. Fine, not that big of a deal, but i was kind of upset because i pushed the issue with him on the phone Sunday telling him i was pretty sure he was wrong, and he assured me he wasn't. So now we owe extra, plus more for the second end table. He gave me the total that we now owed and asked if I had a calculator so i could figure out tax for him... Why me????? Ok, i asked what tax was. He told me 7% and said to just multiply the amount he gave me by 1.7 and that would give me what he owed. I said, actually you mean 1.07, he of course argued and said "trust me, it is 1.7", so I obliged, knowing there is no arguing with this guy anymore. When I said ok, we owe you 340 (way inflated of course) he kind of sat there on the other end and I could tell he was trying to figure out what happened, so i said "I think you really mean 1.07" and he finally clicked and said oh yea oh yea, you are right (heard that a few times now from him regarding HIS job.) So we got the price all set, but it still seemed a little high so i questioned that and he gave me a rundown and at this point arguing was moot. He was still stuck on us having to go sign for it and I asked if Marcia could just go down and do it for us since I wasn't going to drive 2 hours just to pay more money. He said OK, so i hung up and called Brooke. Brooke called Marcia and she said she would do what ever but we should talk to a manager and see if the paperwork could be faxed.
Long story short, the manager impersonator (longer story) said no, so Brooke decided to head down and straighten it all out in person. Turns out the sofa order was wrong anyway and the peat color was not what we wanted. And after all of this the order was $100 cheaper. Ugh.... So the furniture is still due here Friday, but I am not holding my breath. That is our RTG experience. I don't have a problem with the store, but will not use another "first timer" again.
Stay tuned to whether we get our furniture or not Friday, hopefully there will be an Olivia on the sofa picture by the!!

1 comment:

Sheri Pequeno said...

So hopefully in a week you'll have a little less in the checking account but you'll have the furniture you want and the whole ordeal will be a distant memory... But right now I'm still trying to figure out what color peat would be.