Brooke’s surgery post is long over due, but I figured I would tell the tale anyway.
We dropped Livi off at daycare as usual and then headed to the hospital around 9:45. Her appointment was scheduled for 10:45 (this is where they do some pre-op checks and then get her ready for the actual surgery. We arrived on time and the doctors took Brooke back to the prep room, then I was able to go back about 20 minutes later. When I got there, Brooke was on an IV and had gotten her shoulder marked. You can see the very high-tech method of marking the patient’s area for surgery.
After about an hour of hanging out in the waiting area, the doctor came in to give her a “shoulder block” which removed all feeling from Brooke’s left arm. She was a little freaked out about how dead her arm was, and when I held it to see if she could feel anything, it was weird feeling because there was absolutely no response. After the block, the doctor came back and marked his signature on the shoulder as well, just to be sure I guess.
The surgery went well, and we headed home. I dropped Brooke off, went to pick up her prescription, and then get Lee from daycare. When Olivia got home she was excited to see Brooke’s hospital gown (which she had to come home in) and immediately climbed into the gown with her and walked around in there. She liked it. She was also very curious about the sling that Brooke was in.
Brooke’s follow up visit is Wednesday where she gets the stitches out (4 holes in her shoulder where they went in arthroscopically) and then in another 3 weeks she will start some mild PT to get her shoulder back to normal. That is her surgery in a nutshell.
3 comments:
Glad B's surgery went well and she is healing! Merle says, "Work hard in PT and push it till it hurts so you can get full range of motion back." (He is speaking from experience.) Love you!xoxo
Gail - i totally thought of you when they gave me the "shoulder block." They injected me right in the neck just like on Dexter! They Dextered me!!
oooohhhh! You two make it all sound terrible: "work hard til it hurts!" "injected right in the neck!" Sounds like a Halloween horror flick!
But we do wish you the best of recoveries, B.
Linda & Gary
Post a Comment