…or exit, depending on your point of view.
First we woke up and I brought Olivia to school. After that we got the car packed, cleaned up a bit and took a final picture.
We were scheduled to be at the hospital at 10:30 Monday, but since Brooke didn’t get a chance to do her per-surgery paperwork, we decided to get there a little early to get that out of the way. We arrived at Mary Black on time and headed up to the 3rd floor (where babies happen.)
Not only is it a great place to be born, but it is also a great place to do the birthing. Everyone is so nice.
So after we arrived, we went into the family waiting room. It was very quiet, an no babies to be seen. After waiting about 10 minutes, Brooke was called out to do the paperwork. That took about 15 minutes, then we were moved into our *first* room (more on that later.)
We were pros this time though, we left the suitcases in the car until after Jake was born. We only brought up the computer and camera. This made life easier, and also, since we figured we would be starting in one room and moving to another, that it would save us from moving all the suitcases as well. However, in talking to the nurses, we found out that we were in our final room. I could see the room we were in last time with Olivia, just 3 doors down, the Cadillac of rooms, just a stone throw away. A corner room almost twice the size of the one we were in right now. We hadn’t even been here a half hour and we both longed for it. Oh well, I guess it wasn’t meant to be.
Once Brooke was in her gown, the anesthesiologist came in and went over what he was going to do. He was the same one we had with Olivia and has a fun personality. He said he would be giving her a spinal block and went over what that meant. There was also a student with the nurses as there was last time. She was nice, but you could tell she had a lot to learn.
Now it was time to put in the IV. This didn’t go as planned. The nurse couldn’t get it in Brooke’s right hand, which was very painful, so on to the left hand she went. Left hand was no better. By this time Brooke was in a lot of pain. I did the smart thing this time (to Stephanie’s relief I am sure) and was sitting down, so no passing out. If I had pass out, I wouldn’t have needed to be caught, but would still need Steph to get me some apple juice though from the Nourishment Center. But all was good, for me at least. The nurse finally gave up on the IV and decided to call another one in. When the new nurse arrived, she said that if she couldn’t get it in, that the really good nurse (Sonya) would come in and do it. Marcia, Steph and I all at the same time kind of eluded that Brooke suffered enough, how about just sending in Sonya right now and bypass another painful, nonproductive stick. This request was well received and Sonya was called in. The IV went in just fine and was comfortable for the rest of the stay. Since we had so many problems already, I made a tongue-in-cheek comment to our nurse-in-training that it would sure be nice if we could have the same room that we had last time with Olivia. I may have said it a few times.
Now that the IV was in, they wanted to get 2 bags of saline into Brooke before surgery. Surgery was supposed to be 12:30, and the IV was put in and finally working by around 11:45. I did some quick calculations from the speed of drip and amount left in the bag, and it didn’t look like there was any way that 2 bags could possibly get into Brooke in the allotted time, however, we got news that the doctor was running late, so maybe the IV thing would be OK. We did find out right before surgery that they only needed one bag before surgery, and the second one during surgery, so we were good!
After about 45 minutes of saline drip, the nurses came in and said “Let’s go” and when they said it they meant it. I was not dressed in my hospital gown and had to figure out how to get it on pretty quick. I was pretty much uncoordinated, and fumbled thru everything. I am just not good at the hat and shoe covers. The mask and suit I was good with. I needed help putting on the hat and had no idea about the shoe covers, which was embarrassing when I found out how easy they really were. Either way, I got everything on and rushed out the door to the OR waiting area. On the way, the nurse told me that she was working on getting us the room we wanted, I was excited!!
I waited outside the OR doors for about 10 minutes then they called me in. There was no music playing this time like there was with Olivia. Oh well, I was looking forward to hearing what his song would be.
Within about 10 minutes of entering the OR, Jake was out. Again, a lot of comments on how big he was as they took him out and held him up for us to see. He let out a LOUD cry or two before they started doing their stuff to him on the little table.
Brooke did great during the surgery, she felt better than last time (she wasn’t as drugged) so got to experience a little more of the birth than with Olivia. She still didn’t feel well, but was able to be more in the moment.
After Jake was born, and they did their initial procedures on him, they wheeled him out with me to get the official weight. 10 lbs 6 oz, 20 inches long, born at 1:30.
After weighing him, they wheeled him off to the baby room behind the windows so they could do all the initial testing, which we got to watch through the window. It is so cool to see all the things they look at, and it is also amazing how non-delicately they handle them. I don’t mean that in a bad way, they are just so good and used to it that they just move them all around with out any thought. I still feel like he will break if I lift any faster than 1 foot per minute. Remember how I said there was no song playing when he was born, well Cops was on in the background when he was getting these tests done, we just kept hearing “Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do” so I finally had to turn that TV off, there was nobody else in the viewing room anyway.
After about 20 minutes I was able to go back and see Brooke, who had about 10 more minutes before she could be wheeled out of the post-surgery room. The 10 minutes went by pretty quick and they wheeled her to our room, good old room #361. Our nurse had come through!!!
We waited in the room for about another 20 minutes before Jake was delivered to us and we finally got to hold him and see him up close. He had all his fingers and toes, as well as a giant roll of fat on the back of his neck. It looked like he was smuggling out a Johnsonville Brat under a turtleneck. He could not eat for the next week and just live off of the nutrients in his neck.
We all took turns holding him and inspecting him for the next few hours before Mima, Botow, and Auntie Steph had to leave to pick Olivia up at daycare and get her back to their house. I pulled out my bed for the night and got ready to sleep.
Tuesday was another day of just hanging out and learning all about Jake. Mima, Botow and Auntie Steph showed up around 11:30 and we all relaxed until it was time for Botow to go get Olivia and bring her to the hospital from school. Rob was the best for doing the 1 hour each way drive to get Livi so she could meet her baby brother. Livi has been so excited for this day!
When Olivia arrived, Jake was in his bassinette, and we decided to just let her explore and get used to her surroundings before showing him to her. She came in and took in all the sights. She wasn’t sure what to think about Mommy in a different bed, and of course, we were all there acting a little different, but all eyes were on her so she was in her element. After acclimating, we told her that Jake was waiting to meet her and showed her the bassinette. She was very excited to see him for the first time.
Brooke then brought out the little baby doll that Jake got her. We had been telling her that baby brother was bringing her a special surprise. Livi loved it. She changed her diaper, fed her, rolled her around the room.
After playing with her doll, we asked if she would like to sit with Jake. We pulled him out of his bed and set him on the bed with Brooke so Livi could be close. She was very excited and wanted to inspect him. It will take Livi a while to learn how gentle she needs to be, but she was totally taken with him. She couldn’t stop kissing Jake.
It was getting late, and everyone had to leave for the day. That night I left with Olivia so she could sleep in her bed and get to school the next morning. Brooke stayed in the hospital with Jake. Brooke actually got some good sleep that night, which was way overdue.
Wednesday morning, I got Olivia off to school and headed back up to the hospital for our last day there. We took pictures of Jake and just waited to be released, which took FOREVER! I guess they were busy that morning because we were ready to go around 10:00 but didn’t get out until 1:00. Lots of waiting, but we were finally released. We drove home for Jakes first night at home.
More to come. Let the adventure begin.
5 comments:
Such a great story with even better pictures! They all came out sooo good! So excited for you guys! <3
It is all so beautiful!
I LOVE the 2nd picture of y'all on the bed! Livi is so sweet looking. I'd love to know what she said that had you cracking up in the next shot. :)
Welcome to the world little Jake!
Can't wait to meet you.
Love, Aunt Gail and Uncle Merle
So glad to read the story! Can't wait to meet the little bruiser of a boy!
Post a Comment