Thursday, March 11, 2010

Daddy Disaster

So the other night Brooke had work meeting she had to do until about 9:00PM so I was to be in charge of Olivia’s dinner and bedtime routine.  I got home from work early to take over and Livi was in a great mood, running around, playing, screaming, spinning, laughing, all of that normal Olivia stuff.  We waved “bye bye” to Brooke as she left for work.  I grabbed the mail that was on the table and sorted through it while Olivia grabbed my tie that I had taken off and ran back to the sunroom where she loves being.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw her trip (not uncommon for her since she always run at 110%) and then she just kind of sat there on all fours facing away from me.  About 10 seconds later I heard the cry so went over to pick her up and calm her for a second, as these fits usually don’t last long, but when she stood up to come towards me there was blood all over her mouth.  I freaked a little but figured she just bit her lip or tongue and brought her into the living room to wipe her face, which caused shrieks and more crying.  I could not wipe the blood off fast enough, it kept coming out and she would not let me get near her mouth to see what was wrong. 

At this point the dogs were now very interested in what all the fuss was about and came to investigate.  After the third wipe of her mouth and more shrieks, I knew she had to be swallowing blood and was a little concerned about that as well.  My concerns were confirmed when she started coughing.  Lately when she has coughing fits like this she throws up, and this time was no different.  Up came a whole bunch of blood all over Chili and the carpet.  So I am standing alone in a house with a dog who has Livi blood on his back, blood on the carpet, a baby who is bleeding from the mouth and nobody to tag-team with.  I decide to go into the kitchen where the mess can be cleaned up easier and more contained (plus, we have new couches and did not want them messed up in this fiasco either.)  I put Olivia down because the kitchen seems to always cheer her up.  She immediately stopped crying and started doing her little stomp on the floor.  She loves changes in texture on her feet and the kitchen is Linoleum as opposed to the carpet she had been running around on.  After that novelty wore off she started crying again so I gave her a spatula (her second favorite thing) and that calmed her down enough for me to investigate her mouth more and wipe it down a little bit.  I saw no immediate signs of real damage, tongue all there, check, teeth all there (they looked like she knocked them all crooked but that is just how her teeth are) check, no hole in lip, check, no hole in cheek, check.  I figured it had to be that she just bit her lip or cheek and that eventually it would stop bleeding and all would be good.  She was getting better also, the bleeding had stopped and she was not crying unless I tried to clean her mouth, the it was a crazy fit, so I just left her mouth as it was after gently wiping her cheeks with a wet wipe.  She started to grow tired of the kitchen and I brought her out to the sunroom away from the new couches.  She became her old self again, climbing on the futon (and staining the sheet on it with the blood left on her mouth, but it was an old sheet anyway) and played with Lulu.  She had wiped most of the blood off of her mouth onto the futon by now and was looking somewhat normal again except for her shirt and pants.  I took those off and let her run around in her diaper for the rest of the night until Brooke got home.  I also managed to get the carpet, kitchen and kitchen gate cleaned up from the mess. I got Chili’s back cleaned off as well.  All in all a stressful evening home alone with Livi.

The next night when we were feeding Olivia dinner, we finally saw what most likely happened to make her bleed.  You know the little piece of skin that if you press your tongue up and feel between your lip and gums?  Olivia’s piece is crazy because instead of stopping at the middle of her gums it actually goes down between her two front teeth.  We have always seen it as strange.  Well, this was torn today.  We think when she tripped she tore that little piece of skin and it just kept bleeding.  In the long run we were going to have to get it snipped if it never broke on its own so in a way I guess it is a good thing that it happened sooner than later.

Yes, I did get pictures of her in the moment (after she was done crying and everything was ok of course) but no I am not going to post them.  I do have to document everything.  But in lieu of those pictures, I will present you with Olivia being weird while watching one of her favorite shows.

This kind of falls in the “What the heck is she is doing” category.  This was before we got her the new chair.  It is her way of lazy dancing, she does not want to stand, but still wants to move to the music.

4 comments:

Aunt Gail said...

Well done G! You are a good daddy!

Sheri Pequeno said...

Wow what a rough night for you! I probably would have freaked out but it sounds like you handled it with no problem. Good job!

Auntie Stephie said...

OUCH!

g'ma g'pa said...

Poor Livi. Poor Daddy. Poor Chili. Lucky Mommy.
Hope O is doing better.
Loved the close-up shot in the video. The topper pony-tail is the greatest!
g'ma