Monday, March 22, 2010

Small Battles

As Olivia gets older I wonder if she is trying to push her limits or really just doesn’t know any different.  She loves laughing at the word “no.”  Now in reality, if I didn’t have the camera I would have removed her from the rocking chair but sometimes she is too adorable when she is being defiant that it is hard to not laugh.  I try not to make it a habit to say “no” more than two times, but for the sake of the blog, I had to kind of let her have her way.  Ok, who am I kidding, she typically has her way more often than not.  She is going to be a handful.  I have had the entertainment center top lined with all the toys I take away because she bangs them on the coffee table.  It basically goes:

Olivia: (with a solid toy on the coffee table) BANG..

G: “No!”

O: BANG..

G: “Ok, give it to daddy”

O:  Immediately hands it over with a smile.

G: Puts the toy on the entertainment center.

O: Grabs another toy… BANG…

Repeat above until toys are gone and she just uses her hand or a burp cloth.  Redirecting sometimes works, but when she wants to bang on the table she has a one track mind.

7 comments:

Sheri Pequeno said...

So cute! I'm glad Lu finally got some of Livi's bite, because she sure was waiting patiently for it!

Auntie Stephie said...

Dude....she knows EXACTLY what she's doing! I'm loving this little monster more and more every day....she's brilliant!

Gerhard said...

Ok, let's not encourage her Steph!! We have to live with her.

g'ma g'pa said...

OH MY> I like the way you diverted her attention after saying "NO" a couple of times. But I was laughing with tears running down my cheeks as I watched the first minute or so. She is working you two to the hilt! She knows she is entertaining you---Steph has her pegged all the way. Can't wait to see it in person!! (I will be hiding behind my hands so she won't see my laughing the whole time I am there while you two are trying to keep her behaving.
G, she is taking after your sister more than she is after you....beware! LOL (That is said with total love)
G'ma

Mommy said...

you know they say you have your sibling as a child......looks like we have a little steph and Kirsten mix.....God help us! ;)

Auntie Stephie said...

in that case.... you guys are sooo goin' down!
hehehe
Livi and I have some one on one time tomorrow, I think I'll give her a few pointers.... I think I'll start with the turn everything around in your room..... oh how I love that one!

steve1carolyn@yahoo.com said...

Well you can see and hear quite well, that you are not saying "No"
in a voice that she thinks means "No".....I love it.
I am with Auntie Steph, You and Brooke do not have a chance. The same thing we tell Mark and Melissa about Riley. You can tell very easily who rules the houses with these two young ladies!!!
Olivia and Riley do.. :o) :o)